Football

Barca forward and Real Betis star bemoan World Cup miss with Spain, Brazil

Antony and Fermín López have both suffered major World Cup setbacks after being left out of their respective national team plans ahead of this summer’s tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico. 

While Antony was omitted from Brazil national football team manager Carlo Ancelotti’s squad despite an impressive resurgence in Spain, Lopez has been ruled out completely through injury after fracturing a bone in his foot.

Antony’s exclusion comes despite a strong season with Real Betis following his difficult spell at Manchester United FC. 

The Brazilian winger rediscovered his best form in La Liga, scoring 14 goals and providing 10 assists in 45 appearances across all competitions. 

His performances helped establish him as one of Betis’ key attacking players and briefly earned him a recall to the national setup under Ancelotti in 2025.

Reacting to the snub, Antony admitted he was heartbroken not to be heading to the World Cup with Brazil. 

In a message shared on social media, the 26-year-old said he was “saddened” by the decision but remained proud of what he had achieved since moving to Spain. 

He also vowed to continue fighting for his international dream while supporting his team-mates from home as Brazil pursue a record-extending sixth World Cup title.

The former Ajax winger is also dealing with fitness concerns ahead of the end of the domestic season. 

Antony has reportedly been struggling with persistent groin discomfort in recent weeks, and with Betis already assured of a place in next season’s UEFA Champions League, the club are expected to rest him for their final La Liga fixture against Levante UD to avoid aggravating the injury.

Meanwhile, Spain national football team suffered a significant blow after Barcelona midfielder Fermin Lopez was ruled out of the World Cup with a fractured fifth metatarsal in his right foot. 

The 23-year-old sustained the injury during FC Barcelona’s 3-1 La Liga victory over Real Betis and underwent successful surgery earlier this week. 

Lopez had been expected to feature prominently in Spain’s squad after an outstanding season in which he scored 13 goals and registered 17 assists in 48 appearances.

Lopez expressed his disappointment on Instagram, describing the injury as “a very tough moment” but insisting he would return stronger physically and mentally. 

Related Post
Share
Published by
DaFa._.NeWs

Recent Posts

Suns Secure Dillon Brooks With Three-Year Contract Extension Through 2030

The Phoenix Suns have strengthened their long-term plans by agreeing to a three-year contract extension… Read More

August 6, 2026

Real Madrid Await Vinicius Jr Decision After Improved Contract Offer Amid Arsenal Interest

Real Madrid have stepped up efforts to secure the long-term future of Vinicius Jr by… Read More

August 6, 2026

LIV Golf secures lead investor ahead of 2027 season

LIV Golf has secured a new lead investor, strengthening the league's hopes of continuing beyond… Read More

August 6, 2026

Arsenal close to completing Guimarães deal

Arsenal F.C. are on the verge of completing the signing of Bruno Guimarães from Newcastle… Read More

August 6, 2026

Mudryk returns for Chelsea in Pre-season defeat to Juventus

Chelsea F.C. suffered a 1-0 defeat to Juventus FC in a pre-season friendly in Hong… Read More

August 6, 2026

Juventus want Zirkzee on loan deal

Juventus are said to be interested in signing Manchester United striker Joshua Zirkzee. The Turin… Read More

August 6, 2026