Football

João Félix believes Portugal will beat Croatia

Portugal forward João Félix has called for patience and confidence from supporters as the national team prepares to face Croatia in the FIFA World Cup round of 32 on Thursday.

Portugal entered the tournament as one of the favorites but delivered mixed results during the group stage, creating questions about the team’s form before the knockout rounds.

The Portuguese side finished second in Group K after drawing 0-0 with Colombia in its final group match and missing the chance to finish first.

Earlier in the tournament, Portugal drew 1-1 with DR Congo before responding with an impressive 5-0 victory over Uzbekistan to secure qualification.

Despite the uneven performances, Félix said the squad remains fully confident and believes it has what it takes to defeat Croatia.

He urged fans not to overreact to the two draws, saying difficult results are a normal part of World Cup competition.

Félix expects a close contest against Croatia and said he would have no hesitation taking a penalty if the match is decided in a shootout.

The 26-year-old previously hit the post in Portugal’s penalty shootout loss to France during the Euro 2024 quarterfinals, but he views that moment as a valuable lesson.

He explained that his father always encouraged him to accept responsibility in important moments, a mindset he has carried since childhood tournaments.

Félix arrives at this World Cup after enjoying one of the strongest seasons of his career with Saudi Pro League champions Al Nassr.

After difficult spells with Chelsea and AC Milan, he rebuilt his confidence in Saudi Arabia and was named the league’s Player of the Season.

He said the successful campaign has helped him mature and made him feel more prepared than ever to contribute for Portugal.

Playing alongside Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo at Al Nassr has also strengthened their understanding on the field.

Félix praised the 41-year-old striker, saying a full season together helped them learn each other’s movements and preferences in attack.

Ronaldo recently became the first player to score in six different World Cups after netting twice against Uzbekistan.

Félix also dismissed concerns that playing in Saudi Arabia has affected his level, saying strong preparation allows him to compete comfortably alongside teammates from Europe’s biggest leagues.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DaFa._.NeWs

Recent Posts

Suns Secure Dillon Brooks With Three-Year Contract Extension Through 2030

The Phoenix Suns have strengthened their long-term plans by agreeing to a three-year contract extension… Read More

August 6, 2026

Real Madrid Await Vinicius Jr Decision After Improved Contract Offer Amid Arsenal Interest

Real Madrid have stepped up efforts to secure the long-term future of Vinicius Jr by… Read More

August 6, 2026

LIV Golf secures lead investor ahead of 2027 season

LIV Golf has secured a new lead investor, strengthening the league's hopes of continuing beyond… Read More

August 6, 2026

Arsenal close to completing Guimarães deal

Arsenal F.C. are on the verge of completing the signing of Bruno Guimarães from Newcastle… Read More

August 6, 2026

Mudryk returns for Chelsea in Pre-season defeat to Juventus

Chelsea F.C. suffered a 1-0 defeat to Juventus FC in a pre-season friendly in Hong… Read More

August 6, 2026

Juventus want Zirkzee on loan deal

Juventus are said to be interested in signing Manchester United striker Joshua Zirkzee. The Turin… Read More

August 6, 2026