Real Madrid and UEFA have formally ended their long-running legal dispute over the proposed European Super League, bringing the controversial project to an official close.
Madrid were the final club still attached to the breakaway competition after Barcelona withdrew their support last week, effectively signalling the end of the initiative first launched in 2021.
In a joint statement issued by UEFA, the European Football Clubs (EFC) and Real Madrid, the parties confirmed they had reached an “agreement of principles” aimed at safeguarding the future of the European game.
The statement said the accord was designed to serve “the well-being of European club football,” emphasising sporting merit, long-term financial sustainability, and improving the fan experience through technology.
It added that ongoing legal disputes related to the Super League would be resolved once the agreed principles are implemented.
The Super League project initially involved 12 major European clubs, including six from the Premier League: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, and Tottenham Hotspur.
However, fierce backlash from supporters in England prompted all six to withdraw within 72 hours of the announcement.
The competition quickly collapsed, though Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Juventus had continued to defend the concept in the years that followed.
Barcelona’s formal withdrawal last week left Madrid isolated. Club president Joan Laporta said the Catalan side were committed to “building bridges” with UEFA and strengthening ties with European football’s governing bodies.
In a statement confirming their exit, Barcelona said they had notified the European Super League Company and the other clubs involved of their decision to leave the project.
Florentino Perez had previously insisted that the Super League remained an essential project and pointed to favourable European court rulings that recognised clubs’ rights to create their own competitions.
He also suggested Real Madrid could seek significant damages from UEFA. However, the newly announced agreement represents a major shift in tone, effectively ending the standoff between the Spanish giants and European football’s governing body.
With the legal saga now concluded, Real Madrid can turn their full attention back to matters on the pitch.
Conor McGregor will return to the UFC on July 11, ending a five-year absence from… Read More
FC Barcelona have reportedly stepped up their interest in Alberto Moleiro as the Catalan giants… Read More
Xabi Alonso has been appointed as the new manager of Chelsea on a four-year contract… Read More
Bayern Munich captain and veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer has been ruled out of full training… Read More
Napoli will be participating in the Champions League for next season after sweeping Pisa aside… Read More
Kylian Mbappé made an instant impact on his return to Real Madrid’s starting line-up as… Read More