Football

Tensions rise between Barcelona and Ter Stegen as Flick distances himself from dispute

Barcelona’s relationship with veteran goalkeeper Marc-André ter Stegen has reportedly reached a breaking point, following controversy over the timing of his injury announcement. 

The German international recently confirmed he would be sidelined for three months due to back surgery, a decision that has created friction behind the scenes at the club.

The core of the dispute lies in Barcelona’s attempt to utilize part of Ter Stegen’s salary to help register newly signed goalkeeper Joan Garcia. Under La Liga’s financial regulations, the club can only reclaim part of a player’s wages for registration purposes if the player is ruled out for at least four months. 

Ter Stegen’s statement of a three-month recovery period complicates this, leaving the club unable to benefit financially unless the timeline is extended or revised.

Despite the tension, Barcelona reportedly remains hopeful that Ter Stegen’s absence will eventually stretch to at least four months, which would permit them to access the necessary salary margin. 

However, the situation has sparked internal conflict, with Ter Stegen, club captain and a cornerstone of the team since 2014, now finding himself at odds with management.

Head coach Hansi Flick has opted to step away from the escalating drama. The German tactician has deliberately removed himself from the club’s registration process, leaving all decisions to sporting director Deco and the front office. 

Flick, who previously coached Ter Stegen with the German national team, is said to maintain a respectful but detached stance on the matter.

Following Barcelona’s recent 3-1 preseason win over Vissel Kobe, Joan Garcia wore the No. 1 shirt, typically reserved for the club’s first-choice goalkeeper. 

However, Flick clarified that this was only a temporary decision for the Asia tour and not an indication of a permanent shift in hierarchy. Privately, Flick has spoken to Ter Stegen and acknowledged he does not expect the veteran to feature in the squad any time soon.

Although the current situation is delicate, Flick continues to respect Ter Stegen’s legacy at the club and wishes him a smooth transition, regardless of whether that leads to a return or an eventual exit from Camp Nou.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DaFa._.NeWs

Recent Posts

Suns Secure Dillon Brooks With Three-Year Contract Extension Through 2030

The Phoenix Suns have strengthened their long-term plans by agreeing to a three-year contract extension… Read More

August 6, 2026

Real Madrid Await Vinicius Jr Decision After Improved Contract Offer Amid Arsenal Interest

Real Madrid have stepped up efforts to secure the long-term future of Vinicius Jr by… Read More

August 6, 2026

LIV Golf secures lead investor ahead of 2027 season

LIV Golf has secured a new lead investor, strengthening the league's hopes of continuing beyond… Read More

August 6, 2026

Arsenal close to completing Guimarães deal

Arsenal F.C. are on the verge of completing the signing of Bruno Guimarães from Newcastle… Read More

August 6, 2026

Mudryk returns for Chelsea in Pre-season defeat to Juventus

Chelsea F.C. suffered a 1-0 defeat to Juventus FC in a pre-season friendly in Hong… Read More

August 6, 2026

Juventus want Zirkzee on loan deal

Juventus are said to be interested in signing Manchester United striker Joshua Zirkzee. The Turin… Read More

August 6, 2026