Tyson Fury has revealed the reason he called off his retirement. The former WBC heavyweight champion called off his retirement at the start of the year, even teasing a fight soon. Fury is now scheduled to fight Arslanbek Makhmudov on April 11.
Speaking at a press conference recently, the 37-year-old opened up about why he ended his retirement when he did.
Fury said that Anthony Joshua’s tragic accident last December, while on vacation in Nigeria, was the jolt that pushed him to call off his retirement.
He said, ”The biggest turning point in this comeback for me was the tragedy that happened with Anthony Joshua. I was on holiday in Thailand with my family for Christmas, just to get away from the rain.
“I hear all that bad news that’s gone on, and I thought, you know what, life is very, very short and very precious and very fragile. Anything could happen at any given moment, and you should never put things off until tomorrow, or the next year or next week, because tomorrow is not promised to nobody.
“There is no tomorrow to put it off to, so that’s why I’m back today for this big fight.”
Prior to the accident, Joshua was regarded as the only man who could bring TheGypsy King out of retirement. Now, Fury would be facing his lowest-ranked opponent in years.
When asked by another journalist the reason for his comeback, Fury said he came back to “make boxing great again,” adding that the sport had been boring since his retirement: “Why did I come back? Very interesting question with only one answer,”
Fury said. “I came back for one reason: To make boxing great again. Since I retired for the fifth time, boxing has become very boring. Boxing is better with Tyson Fury in it. Like Donald Trump wants to make America great again, I want to make boxing great again.”
He also denied being too old or unfit to return, saying, “If I was on a decline, I’d see it, I’d admit it. I feel like I’m still in my peak. I feel rejuvenated… I am really looking forward to getting back in the ring.”
Anthony Edwards looked genuinely stunned when NBA commissioner Adam Silver called his name as the… Read More
Barcelona missed the chance to climb back to the top of La Liga after suffering… Read More
The fifth-round draw of the FA Cup has thrown up a series of compelling ties,… Read More
Manchester United interim manager Michael Carrick has been told he must secure a top-four finish… Read More
Celtic shift their focus to European action this week as they host VfB Stuttgart in… Read More
Luciano Spalletti has said a call for a national team ban for Alessandro Bastoni will… Read More