Red Bull Racing Team Principal, Christian Horner, has put an end to speculations about the team’s interest in acquiring the services of seven-time World Champion, Lewis Hamilton, who is currently in the last year of his contract with Mercedes.
At the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix last weekend, Mercedes Team Principal, Toto Wolff, expressed his lack of objection to Hamilton leaving the team in a year or two if the team fails to make any improvements.
Red Bull ended Mercedes’ eight-year-long dominance as Constructors’ Champions in 2022, with the Silver Arrows only managing to win one race that year. For the first time in his Formula One career, Hamilton was unable to stand on the top step of the podium.
This year, Red Bull has continued their streak as they have now won the first two races of the season. Defending Champion, Max Verstappen, won the season’s opening race, while Sergio Perez took the chequered flag on Sunday.
When asked by Sky News’ Ian King if Hamilton could make a surprise move to the current Constructors’ Champions, Horner said: “What Lewis has achieved in F1 is exceptional, but we’re satisfied with the drivers we have. They’re committed not only this season but also the next one, so I can’t see where we could accommodate Lewis.”
Red Bull has Sergio Perez under contract until the end of 2024, while Verstappen has signed with the team until the end of 2028.
Even though Mercedes has had a slow start to the season, which leaves them third in the Constructors’ Championship, Horner remains optimistic about Mercedes and Hamilton making a comeback.
“I’m sure they’ll sort out their issues – we’re certainly not giving up on them yet,” said the 49-year-old.
“We’re hearing about significant upgrades from Mercedes, and I’m sure Ferrari is not happy with their current position. So, we’re anticipating things to converge quickly.”
Meanwhile, Wolff has expressed his confidence in retaining Hamilton’s services beyond this year, citing their strong partnership and a shared desire to continue dominating the sport.