Al-Nassr forward Cristiano Ronaldo believes Saudi Pro League has the potential to become a top-five league in the world. The Portuguese captain feels the level of football in Saudi Arabia is increasing and the league could be one of the best in the world.
Ronaldo joined the Saudi club in January on a contract estimated by some media reports to be worth more than €200 million ($220.16 million). In fact, Ronaldo’s contract with Al-Nassr was criticized by football experts but the talisman said he had proved his mettle in Europe and had nothing else to prove in the continent. The 38-year-old felt that the level of football in Saudi Pro League is high.
Earlier in his glittering career, Ronaldo played for Manchester United in the Premier League, Real Madrid in LA Liga, and Juventus in Serie A and once again made a move to Manchester United ahead of the 2021-22 season.
However, things went south for him and the Red Devils and the Old Trafford-based club had to end their contract with him following his bombshell interview with Piers Morgan, in which he criticized the team’s head coach Erik Ten Hag and the managemen.
“We are much better and the Saudi league is getting better and the next year will be even better,” he told Saudi SSC channel on Tuesday.
“Step-by-step I think this league will be among the top five leagues in the world but they need time, players and infrastructure.
“But I believe that this country have amazing potential, they have amazing people and the league will be great in my opinion.”
Meanwhile, Reuters reported earlier this month that Riyadh club Al Hilal had made a formal offer to secure the services of Lionel Messi, who is set to leave PSG Saint-Germain.
On the other hand, Al-Nassr fought back to beat visitors Al Shabab 3-2 after Ronaldo scored a splendid winner. Al-Nassr will next take on Ettifaq on Saturday.